Saturday, December 27, 2008

Small city girl, big city dreams

As of two days ago, I have dived headfirst into GRE-land, and I'm noticing how different my study style is here in Suisun City versus in Berkeley.

Pro-suburbia
-I have a car, so weather and distance doesn't hinder me from going out to study
-Drive-thru Starbucks!
-'Cash-only' is an unheard of concept
-Mom makes me breakfast and dinner everday, and chai is available around the clock
-Because there are no universities nearby, libraries are never crowded, parking and/or desk availability is never an issue

Con-suburbia
-Library closes at 5pm (wtf?!)
-Because the libraries cater to elementary schools, are the desks and chairs are super low (nothing more awkward than looking up from my 'private booth' and seeing a 60-year old Asian man staring me in the face)
-Mom doesn't understand the concept of lunch; its breakfast, chai-break, dinner (how Indians are still so obese is beyond my comprehension)
-No T1 connection at library (I'd be suprised if it was even DSL)

On the other hand, I'm actually enjoying studying for the GRE. I know, shoot me, I'm a nerd. But maybe its because without school to worry about, I'm in a very relaxed, nay reposed, state of mind and the daily dose of mental stimulation is actually welcome.

1 comment:

QWN said...

Don't forget no nose bleeds for the pro-suburbia list.

Do you know a good instrumental station on Pandora? I left my music in Berkeley and Pandora is all I have.