Monday, December 29, 2008

Lost in Translation

So I discovered, today, that despite my fluency in both Punjabi and English, there are some things that do indeed, get lost in translation.

Scenario: I'm waiting in line at a drive-thru Starbucks (I know, ironic, given the post below) for almost 25 minutes with my parents. Being stuck in anywhere with my parents (i.e. our home) is very frustrating, but the confines of a car, along with the knowledge that we were boxed in this drive-thru line, was just too much for my claustrophobic nature. Anywho, I quickly got frustrated listening to them bicker, and said the following: "GODDD, what is it about being in a car with you two that just makes me want to kill myself?!"

I thought nothing of the event until just now, when my Dad comes to me, honestly worried, about why such a small thing as my parents bickering would make me want to kill myself. He goes on to tell me that he'd been thinking about it all night and all day today, about what could be bothering my young little mind so much that I would contemplate suicide.

HAHA. What I said was obviously an hyperbole (GRE word of the day, check!), but apparently there is no room for exaggeration in Punjabi.

No comments: