Thursday, June 5, 2008

My First Celebrity Sighting!


Thanks to the amazing Google Reader, I was informed of Salman Rushdie coming to Barnes & Noble, Union Square to do a book reading and signing of his new book The Enchantress of Florence. For those who aren't aware, and are too lazy to click the link, Rushdie is a Muslim author famous (some would say notorious) for his controversial books on Islam and politics. I have only read one of his books, Shame, which I loved. I have always wanted to go back and read The Satanic Verses, for which he was exiled from Pakistan. His magic realism sends the reader on an acid trip while seamlessly blending history and fiction. His criticism of the runnings of the Pakistani, Indian and Iranian governments is so thinly-veiled in his novels, he needn't bother change names. Yet there is something in his blatant disregard of the consequences of his writing that draws the reader in, convincing them he has a secret to share. With this joy I begin his latest work, ready for the magical realism that will give me cryptic dreams for nights to come.


Oh, also included: Statue of Ghandhi at Union Square Park which struck me as oddly placed, and rendezvous with Goldman Boys continue, dinner at some delicious Mexican place near Mamoun's.


G'nite Cali!

1 comment:

green said...
This comment has been removed by the author.