Thursday, June 12, 2008

Musical Explorations

Someone told me Houstin, Texas was the live music capital of the United States. Whoever decided this must never been to New York City. There is live music-correction, free live music- everywhere, so much so that I rarely use my iPod. From the borderline-homeless playing at Subway stations to the numerous summer concert series' throughout the city, there is music at every corner, catered to every taste. A live jazz band outside the Guggenheim. A man playing the Star-Spangled Banner on a saw (shown to the left) at Taste of Times Square.

I've never been big on music, and the only concert I've really attended (and sitting behind The Greek Theatre does NOT count) was Red Hot Chili Peppers in Oakland, but I'm really starting to appreciate live music. And its so much easier to do when its everywhere and its free.

So Tuesday we saw Gnarls Barkley play at the Apple Store in SoHo. They were promoting the release of their album (on iTunes, like Coldplay's Viva La Vida), The Odd Couple. They played a few lounging, jazzy songs which I liked but can't remember the name of. Then they butchered their one hit 'Crazy' with a slow, torturous remix and it was over.
On a side note, SoHo is a very trendy, fashion-aware neighborhood, and the one thing I noticed, is that wearing black-on-black (yes, yes, like the Storm of Justice) is very 'in'. At least half the women I saw were dressed in all-black on a 95-degrees day. Then Jiasi informed me that someone told her it was almost mandatory to wear black to attend a party in SoHo. Interesting.

Wednesday I went to see live Jazz at Pier 17, right around South Seaport. I must say, I am really liking jazz. It may be simply because it is played at every public gathering in this city, that I am beginning to associate it with a fun, carefree and exploratory mood. Either way, Pier 17 is an amazing place. I got my first glimpse of Brooklyn, Wall Street and Governor's Island-and was introduced to this concept of a New York City Water Taxi.

Most importantly, girls, listen closely. I found this awesome dress-boutique in the mall inside Pier 17, called The Stone Flower. Ever since I got here I have been looking for light, summery dresses that are wearable in this humid weather yet nice enough for a night out. This store has just that. The dresses are all hand-made by the owner, so they are unique (seriously, only 1 of each dress in the store) and cheap ($25-45). They have a great selection of day and evening dresses for every occasion. I spent an hour in this tiny 12'x12' shop and tried on about 10 dresses, finally settling to buy just 3. I plan on going back there again soon.


Finally, today was all about watching Kevin Robinson do the Red Bull Experiment and attempt to break the world record for highest jump on a BMX. Red Bull built a 60-foot launch ramp in Central Park and crowds gathered to watch. Being the Big Apple, there had to be live music at this event. A few no-name bands played, and then, much to my surprise and elation, Talib Kweli came on stage! For those who don't know, he is a political rapper who ranks in the top-five of my favorite lyricists alongside my all-time favorites Mos Def, Common and The Roots. I've spent years listening to rappers sing about their cities, and I totally forgot how many are New York natives. His unannounced appearance only increased my respect for this city in attracting the biggest names of every industry.
After all the music, 'K-Rob' did come out and do the deed. The previous record was 26'6'' above the ramp, and he managed to do 27' tonight. It was pretty amazing to watch how fast he was going at the bottom of the half-pipe. He did, unfortunately, fall during most of his landings, but bounced back every time.

Also, for you skaters out there, a few of Kevin's friends came and did some jumps off the half-pipe as well, and one was a skater, now his looked pretty damn amazing.

Now I have to make slides for tomorrow's lab meeting, so in the words of (some Pig on cartoon?):

That's all folks!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hell yes skate ramps!! Once upon a time I could drop into vert ramps.
Talib Kweli makes sexy music!