Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Bad, the Ugly

I've received a few requests (or shall I call them complaints) for unfiltered details, so here goes. You guys have all heard whats been amazing about New York, now you're going to get the nitty gritty, the bare essentials, on what sucks.

I have yet to see toilet seat covers in New York.

Last night on the street, this exchange occurred:
-guy on street: Do you know where the nearest liquor store is?
--me, while continuing walking: No.
-guy on street: You don't wanna drink? You don't wanna fuck? You don't wanna suck?

There are massive, and I kid you not, mounds of trash on the streets. This ranges from simple wrappers and bags on the streets to the 15-20 black garbage bags piled on the sidewalk perpetually waiting for pickup.

I keep seeing these blue trucks in Harlem with giant suctioning hoses labeled "#1 for picking up number 2"-one can only assume lack of plumbing.

Yesterday at Tompkins Square Park, we couldn't sit on a bench because there was 6-inch diameter, 3-inch high pile of dog shit covered in flies.

Those beautiful horse-drawn carriages going through Central Park, the horses shit as they go, and no one cleans it up.

My roommate rarely stays in her NY apartment because she has a house in New Jersey (with a pool!). And she never cooks (the refrigerator had only a water jug when I came in). Naturally she decides to do both on the hottest weekend possible, so the non-AC apartment is actually 10 degrees hotter than outside.

I always heard NY was a dirty city, and I used to think that was a simple matter of density- you simply can't be clean with that many people crowded into one city. But now I'm starting to believe its a matter of choice. Toilet seat covers, seriously?! And how hard is it to place garbage dumpsters on the street so as not to litter the sidewalks. And how simple to install posts with doggy litter-bags and signs encouraging people to clean up after their pets? I'm not saying these measures would have a significant effect, but the fact that the city hasn't done so shows they are at peace with their filth and unsanitary conditions.

Needless to say, I have more than overcome these drawbacks. I would have to, otherwise I couldn't enjoy all that this city has to offer. You asked for details, there it is.

No comments: