Wednesday, April 22, 2009

An Apple a Day... Keeps the PC Doctor Away

     While reading Lifehacker's interview with Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, I came across a comment of his that made me double take:  "When we first started with Apple computers, it was my dream that everyone would learn to program, and that was how they'd use their computer." 
     Being a recent PC --> Mac convert myself (note the one-sided arrow), if there is one major shortcoming I have noticed, it is that Mac's don't allow much user input. Apple's philosophy seems to be "well our way is just so damn good, you won't need to modify anything." With millions of users and a large emphasis on design, most of their flaws and inconveniences have already been ironed out, but needless to say millions of users have millions of different needs, so having a fixed user interface isn't perfect for everyone. What type of fixed functions am I speaking of? The most annoying example is how the function for closing your computer screen cannot be changed. With my Dell (may it rest in peace), I had it programmed (okay, wrong word in this context), I had it set to "do nothing" when closed, so I could close my screen when moving my laptop around or simply playing music. This is not an option with my Macbook. There are many such frustrations I came across almost daily when I first converted, but have now grown accustomed to.
     Going back to the original quote, I find it surprising that Apple's software has trended towards minimal user input, especially when it was made by and for hackers. However, I am no programmer, so maybe I am just completely oblivious to this hackable, modifiable Mac. If that is the case, I would like to know! It might be time to hire me an unemployed EECS graduate to make some changes for me!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

haha! That was the first thing that annoyed me about macbooks when I switched from my VAIO laptop. You need to put your computer into clamshell mode. Either by connecting an external screen, or using this InsomniaX extension: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/30315
I find that I actually like it when it goes to sleep when I close the lid, unless I'm downloading or playing music. You can also turn the brightness all the way down, and that turns the screen off with the lid open. I'm not unemployed or an EE major, but I can always help you with your mac! Cheers!