Wednesday, July 2, 2008

An Affair to Remember

Last week, while watching The New York Philharmonic concert in Central Park, under the stars with the Manhattan skyline to my right and fireworks overhead, it hit me what a romantic city this is. Sitting in a crowd of 60,000 on the grass, looking around I realized a fair portion were couples, cuddling on towels. Not that I needed a date to enjoy the amazing symphony while lying down star-gazing, but it suddenly occurred to me how many of the events I've been to would have been perfect dates. Outdoor movies, jazz clubs, touring Times Square, or simply crossing the Brooklyn Bridge.
The New York Philharmonic at Great Stage in Central Park
Fireworks after the concert

This city would be perfect place to fall in love. Or even a summer fling. What girl hasn't dreamed of coming to this city, meeting a classy, 20-something Wall Street yuppie in a suit (sorry GS, interns don't count) and getting swept off her feet? The summer would pass in a whirlwind of classy opera nights, exclusive club openings and breathtaking starlit walks along the Hudson River. Weekends would entail trips to the ever-elusive Hamptons, while weeknights would start with poetry readings and culminate in salsa dancing and night-caps under the stars. The only time I wouldn't be in a dress would be when I was in a bikini, and my feet would become insensitive to pain once slipped into a nice pair of heels. I would never run out of energy, and when I did, Mr. Wall Street would be there to pick up the slack. In circumstances like these, who could avoid falling in love?

Sigh. Well, a girl can dream. I've made my bed and I don't regret lying in it, but for this summer, I'll settle for an affair with the city itself.
---
Other interesting happenings of the last week:
Friday the 27th: Cold War Kids free concert at Prospect Park Bandshell with GS.

Followed by another trip to Wall St., drinking, singing (with Ravi on guitar) and playing 'Truth, Dare or Shot' on Derek's terrace. All in all, great night full of good music, good company, embarrassing revelations and ballsy dares (most between people who had just met that night).
Wall St.

Ravi strumming out my favorites, 'Wonderwall' and 'Under the Bridge'
Dare#2: Stripping/dancing behind a screen, very fun to watch the guys going nuts for this.


Saturday the 28th: Lots of drinks and dancing at Mannahatta, a good cross between a bar and a club. Lesson learned: no dancing barefoot in a bar, broken glass everywhere. Thanks for all the help that night guys, especially Hemant! This is the only decent picture I have, I really wish we had fit everyone else in it, or that I was looking at the camera.

Summer 08 Trifecta!
Goodnight Cali!

2 comments:

green said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kiran said...

No its not me, but I did come up with the dare. :-)

I'm ashamed that my 'blurb' sounds like a 36-year-old woman desperate for love, but I can see where her inspiration comes from now.

Ravi is the new Atul that sings also!

TRIFECTA!